If you have ever struggled with growing your hair, join me, Leilu (AfroDeity's resident blogger), as I continue my journey to grow, healthy, strong afro textured hair. I've been there and have had every style going so if you have any questions email firstname.lastname@example.org or Follow Me! I generally post about Afro Hair 101. Caribbean Fusions and Unique Ingredients General Health an d Well Being and every so often a l post for my fellow geeks You can also stop by our online store that retails natural Caribbean Inspired hair and skin products.
February 11, 2012
How I Blow Dry and Straighten my hair
As I said in my last post about air drying I do sometimes use a blow dryer, I just do it in moderation, maybe once a month or every two months and on special occasions and i also use a heat protector. At the moment it is the GHD heat protector for dry hair but I have also been know to use the Jane Carter Solution Leave In Revitalising Spray, which is also a great detangler.
Here is my step by step hair drying routine
1. Detangle hair in the shower - gently with a wide toothed comb, or just fingers, go through hair, please bear in mind it is fragile when it is wet so BE VERY GENTLE. Fingers are probably best. Slowly detangle your hair and bring it back in one direction on the head.
2. As I get out of the shower I wrap my hair in a muslin square or t-shirt ( as with Hairlicious T-shirt method). I leave along with wringing or rubbing my hair for 5 - 7 minutes.
3. I apply Jane Carter Solution Wrap & Roll to my hair , followed by the GHD heat protectant and my usually daily moisturiser. Then I seal the ends of my hair with an oil. Usually Coconut Oil or Castor Oil. The oil molecules are larger than the water molecules and as such keep the moisture in your hair. This is an important step as the blow dryer and/or straighteners pull moisture out of your hair.
4. I then part the hair in four sections and blow dry each section.
5. After I have blow dried and before I striaghten. I apply a very small amount of moisturiser. Just a little as if your hair is to wet it will sizzle under the straighteners, so make sure you have dries it properly.
6. I then straighten my hair.
Other tips: moisturise and oil your scalp before blow drying in the same way as you di your hair to avoid drying the scalp.
Embrace Your Inner AfroDeity
Jamaican Black Castor Oil Overuse Jamaican Black Castor Oil (JBCO) is a product which I throughly recommend for softer, more...
Looking for Shea Moisture in the UK. Below we've put together list of places you can get your Shea Moisture Products from! Not sure...
Hi Everyone, While researching on the internet over the holidays, it came to my attention that quite a few people are still unable to...
Tired of itchy scalp? Since I started taking care of my hair a few years back I have noticed that itchy scalp is less of a problem for m...
Places to Buy Jamaican Black Castor Oil Online that are based in the UK Fountain Jamaican Black Castor Oil Tropic Isle Jamaican Bla...
Hi All, Last week I decided to try this 'Inversion Method' that everyone has been talking about on the interweb. For the u...
10 Places to Buy Natural Hair Products for Kinky Coily Hair Online that are based in the UK 1. AfroDeity Ltd An online stor...
Jamaican Black Castor Oil is the title of 80% of the emails I receive so I thought it would be a good idea to break down this list...
Breaking News! All Jamaican Black Castor Oil products are now available at the AfroDeity Store : * Sunny Isle Jamaican Black Castor Oil ...
There is an ongoing scientific debate about parabens and they are very controversial at the moment hence the rise of paraben free produc...
building a regime Cantu Shea Butter children Co-Wash Competitions and Discounts conditioner Dry Itchy Scalp edgestick Essential Oils Events FAQ featured posts fountain good hair movie Grow Hair Long hair care haircare jamaican black castor oil jane carter solution kids My Hair Journey My Regime Myths and Legends Natural HairStyles new products on a budget Pendeza Phytospecific pimento oil Pre-Poo Product Reviews Protective Styling psychological slavery Q/A Relaxed Hair Retailer Reviews self relaxing shampoo shea butter slider posts stretching swim regime swimming tangle teezer where to buy